Manager, Senior Analyst, Global Energy Group 2, Strategy Research Unit
Main areas of research:
International relations in the Asia-Pacific and Eurasia
Japan’s foreign policy
Russian politics and foreign policy
|1993||M.A. in Contemporary Soviet and East European Studies, School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES), University of London.|
|1998||M.A. in International Political Economy (completed Ph.D. course work [ABD]), Graduate School of International Political Economy, University of Tsukuba, Japan.|
|2000-2003||Political and economic attaché, The Consulate-General of Japan in Khabarovsk.|
|2004-2010||Economic Research Institute for Northeast Asia (ERINA)|
|2010-||Institute of Energy Economics, Japan (IEEJ)|
|2006||Visiting Fellow, Center for East Asian Studies, Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS).|
|2008-2009||Visiting Associate Professor, Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University.|
|2009||Visiting Fellow, Center for Northeast Asian Policy Studies (CNAPS), the Brookings Institution.|
|2010||Visiting Fellow, Russia and Eurasia Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).|
|2007-2013||Asahi Asia Fellow, Asahi Shimbun Asia Network (AAN).|
|2010-2019||Associate Fellow, Institute for Security and Development Policy (ISDP) in Stockholm.|
|2017-||Reconnecting Asia Virtual Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)|
|2018-2019||Visiting Professor, Slavic-Eurasian Center, Hokkaido University.|
|2020-||Associate Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Security and Development Policy (ISDP), https://isdp.eu/people/shoichi-itoh/|
- “Japan’s Russia Policy at a Crossroads: New Phase for Geopolitics of Energy”, P. J. Saunders & J. S. Van Oudenaren (eds.), Change and Continuity in Japan-Russia Relations: Implications for the United States, The Center for the National Interest, 2019. https://187ock2y3ejr34z8752m6ize-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/CFTNI-Change-and-Continuity-in-Japan-Russia-Relations_May-2019_Web.pdf
- “Japan's Opaque Energy Policy toward Russia: Is Abe Being Trumped by Putin?”, in E. Downs et al., The Emerging Russia-Asia Energy Nexus, The National Bureau of Asian Research, Special Report no.74, 2018. https://www.nbr.org/publication/japans-opaque-energy-policy-toward-russia-is-abe-being-trumped-by-putin/
- "Sino-Russian Energy Relations in Northeast Asia and Beyond: Oil, Natural Gas and Nuclear Power", Japan and the Sino-Russian Entente: The Future of Major-Power Relations in Northeast Asia, The National Bureau of Asian Research, Special Report, no.64, 2017. https://www.nbr.org/publication/sino-russian-energy-relations-in-northeast-asia-and-beyond-oil-natural-gas-and-nuclear-power/
- “Energy Security in Northeast Asia: A Pivotal Moment for the U.S.-Japan Alliance”, The Brookings Institution, March 12, 2013. https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/energy-security-in-northeast-asia-a-pivotal-moment-for-the-u-s-japan-alliance/
- “Sino-Russian Energy Relations: True Friendship or Phony Partnership?”, Russian Analytical Digest, No.73, 2010.
- “After the Election: Will Japan be Different?”, The Brookings Institution, September 14, 2009.
- “A Japanese Rethinking of Europe-Russia Relations”, posted on the Website of the Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, Japan, December 2008.
- “China’s Surging Energy Demand: Trigger for Conflict or Cooperation with Japan?”, East Asia: an International Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2008.
- “Japan’s Energy Strategy and Development of Energy Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific”, ERINA Report, Vol. 77, 2007.
- “The Pacific Pipeline at a Crossroads: Dream Project or Pipe Dream?”, ERINA Report, Vol.73, 2007.
- “Energy Security Revisited: A Catalyst for Multilateral Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific Region and the Role of the U.S.-Japan Alliance”, posted on the Web site of the Center for Global Partnership, August 29, 2006.
- “Energy Outlook in the Asia-Pacific” in E. Buchanan (ed.), Russian Energy Strategy in the Asia-Pacific: Implications for Australia (Australia National University Press, 2021).
- “The energy factor in Russia’s ‘Asia pivot’ (co-authored with A. Kuchins)”, in M. M. Mochizuki & D. M. Ollapally (eds.), Energy Security in Asia and Eurasia, Routledge, 2017.
- “The Geopolitics of Northeast Asia’s Pipeline Development”, in M. E. Herberg (ed.), Energy Security and the Asia-Pacific, The National Bureau of Asian Research, 2014.
- “Sino-Japanese competition over Russian oil”, in R. E. Bedeski & Niklas Swanström (eds.), Eurasia’s Ascent in Energy and Geopolitics：Rivalry or partnership for China, Russia and Central Asia?, Routledge, 2012.
- Russia Looks East: Energy Markets and Geopolitics in Northeast Asia、Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), 2011.
- “Russia’s Energy Policy Towards Asia: Opportunities and Uncertainties”; “Is there a Solution? Obstacles to and Prospects for Multilateral Energy Cooperation in Asia” in C. Len & A. Chew (eds.), Institute for Security & Development Policy, 2009. Energy and Security Cooperation in Asia: Challenges and Prospects, Institute for Security and Development Policy, 2009
- “Can Russia Become a “Regional Power” in Northeast Asia?”, in A. Eberhardt & A. Iwashita (eds.), Security Challenges in the Post-Soviet Space: European and Asian Perspectives, Polish Institute of International Affairs, 2007.
- “Sino-Russian Energy Relations: The Dilemma of Strategic Partnership and Mutual Distrust”, Hiroshi Kimura (ed.), Russia’s Shift toward Asia, The Sasakawa Peace Foundation, 2007.
- “Sino-Russian Energy Partnership: Dilemma of Cooperation and Mutual Distrust” in G. Austin & M. Schellekens-Gaiffe (eds.), Energy and Conflict Prevention, Madariaga European Foundation & the Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation, 2007.